Grand Opera: The Story of the Met (Book)
Price: $45.00 / $44.55 Members: $40.10
Grand Opera: The Story of the Met (Hardcover)
By Charles Affron and Mirella Jona Affron
In this first new history of the Met in 30 years, the authors trace the story of the company from its founding in 1883 during the Gilded Age to the present-day era of new media and Live in HD transmissions, drawing on unpublished documents from the Met archives, reviews, recordings, and many other sources. Each of the chronologically sequenced chapters surveys a composer or part of the repertoire and brings to life important personalities and memorable performances of the time, making this a richly detailed account that will appeal to readers far beyond the circle of opera enthusiasts.
Please note: This is not a book of photography; each chapter includes black and white supporting photos.
“…one of the most fascinating literary explorations of the colorful history of the Metropolitan Opera….an engrossing account of the genesis of America's premiere opera company and its oft-tumultuous journey through time. This is a great read, and an essential addition to my library." – George I. Shirley, Professor of Music, University of Michigan, tenor, Metropolitan Opera, 1961-1973
- A Matter of Boxes, 1883-1884: Bel Canto
- Cultural Capital, 1884-1903: The German Seasons and French Opera
- Opera Wars, 1903-1908: Parsifal, Salome, and the Manhattan Opera Company
- Modernity, 1908-1929: Puccini
- Hard Times, 1929-1940: Wagner
- Strains of War, 1940-1950: The Conductor’s Opera
- Stage Business, 1950-1966: Verdi
- In Transit, 1966-1975: American Opera
- Maestro Assoluto, 1975-1990: Twentieth-Century European Opera and the Baroque
- Patronage and Perestroika, 1990-2006: American Opera (Redux) and Slavic Opera
- In the Age of New Media, 2006-2013
- Hardcover: 472 pages
- Publisher: University of California Press (September 22, 2014)
- Dimensions: 6" W x 1.4" D x 9" L
Write the first review
No reviews have been written for this product.
Be the first one! – Write a Review