Home / For the Home / Music Boxes & Instruments / "Faust" Musical Jewelry Box (Item# 1000008034 )
"Faust" Musical Jewelry Box
This collectible musical jewelry box features a reproduction of the vintage poster from Gounod's Faust on the cover, a soft light beige velvet interior, a ring roll and storage space.
The hand-crafted inlaid walnut box is made in Italy and plays "Faust's Waltz".
- Hand-crafted in Sorrento, Italy following traditional methods that date back centuries.
- 18 note movement plays "Faust's Waltz"
- A wind-up musical mechanism is mounted on the inside and can be viewed thru a clear glass panel when the box is opened.
- Interior is lined with velvet for storing precious keepsakes; also, features a ring roll.
- Dimensions: 4 3/8" wide x 5 3/4" long x 2 1/2” deep
Charles Gounod’s Faust
A sumptuously Romantic adaptation of one of the most enduring myths in Western culture, Faust had its premiere in Paris in 1859. The story of the aging scientist who sells his soul to the devil in return for knowledge and youth has inspired countless versions in many genres, most famously Goethe’s towering drama. Faust opened the first Metropolitan Opera House on Broadway and 39th Street in October 1883 and for many years remained the company’s most frequently performed opera. Des McAnuff’s 2011 production updates the action to the first half of the 20th century, with Faust as a nuclear scientist at the end of World War II who revisits the ill-fated decisions of his youth.
You might also like......